Charleston Cumberland Presbyterian Church
The Charleston Cumberland Presbyterian Church is located on Railroad Street in Charleston, TN and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.
This Greek-Revival style church served as a confederate hospital in 1863. That November, Troops of Company C of the First Tennessee Calvary, CSA, who came largely from neighboring McMinn and Monroe counties, helped to evacuate the town of Charleston. The unit then joined the 38th Tennessee Infantry, led by Col. John C. Carter in occupying this town. The window sills of this building are gnawed considerably, evidence of where the soldiers horses were tethered.