The First Presbyterian Church in Cleveland, Tennessee was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986. It's the oldest existing sanctuary in Cleveland. Established in 1837, construction on this building began in 1856 and the church was dedicated in October of 1858. Beginning in 1935, a remodeling project introduced a three-story addition and made significant changes to the sanctuary. During this time the original gallery, once used by slaves prior to the Civil War, was removed, and the sanctuary was enlarged and redecorated. During the Civil War, the sanctuary was damaged. Musket balls are still embedded in the church steeple!